Our Goal with New Mexico Highlands University
NLRSP: Pre-Collegiate Academy has partnered with New Mexico Highlands University (NMHU) to create a one of a kind College Pipeline Program “Desert Trail to the Highlands.” Under this college pipeline program, the NLRSP: Pre-Collegiate Academy seeks to do the following:
- Further develop and expand the partnership between the Torres Martinez Desert Cahuilla Indians (TMDCI) and New Mexico Highlands University (NMHU).
- Establish curricula that focus on Native Issues through Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics (S.T.E.M.) and Humanities Departments.
- Expose high school students to NMHU’s campus environment.
- Prepare students for college entrance and an education at New Mexico Highlands University.
- Provide Career Guidance for participating students through Counselor Support by NMHU staff.
- Establish an Alumni partnership between enrolled NMHU students and prospective Native students.
- Continue a Parent College Tool-Box Program with the parent(s) of NMHU Students.
For Desert Trail to the Highlands it is essential that our native students have a sense of ownership of their heritage. This program will empower our students by providing curriculum that focuses on the history of Native Americans:
- Seminars taught by NMHU professors.
- Current NMHU students with Majors that focus on Native Issues
- Testimonials by current NMHU on daily dorm life, campus activities, organizations, etc.
- Campus Tour:
- Las Vegas, New Mexico Tour
- Regional Tour
| SSDownload Required Forms